Illinois Freedom of Information Act
The Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records. The law provides that a person can ask a public body for a copy of its records on a specific subject and the public body must provide those records, unless there is an exemption in the statute that protects those records from disclosure.
Exemptions are described under 5 ILCS 140, Section 7 and Section 7.5. In addition, some records may be subject to confidentiality provisions imposed by other state or federal laws; the FOIA process for disclosure of information does not supersede these other applicable statutory and judicial mandates.
The Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow a person to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. For general questions regarding the Chicago Heights Park District, call (708) 755-1351.
Procedure for obtaining information per the Freedom of Information Act.
- Please make your request for records in writing. The Chicago Heights Park District requires the completion of our FOIA form and is available on our website by e-mail or picked up at the administrative office. You may submit your written request by mail, fax, e-mail or in person at the address below. Please direct your request to:
Michael DeButch, FOIA Officer
Chicago Heights Park District
1400 Chicago Road
Chicago Heights, IL. 60411
Ph. (708)755-1351 ext.111
Fax: (708) 755-0940
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the FOIA is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent you wish to ask questions or a representative of the Chicago Heights Park District, you may call our Administrative Office at (708)755-1351.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the rights to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there may be .15 cent per-page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copy fees. To do so please include the following statementor similar statement in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest – not simply your personal interest – and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish your email address.
DOWNLOAD_FOIA REQUEST FORM
RETURN COMPLETED FOIA REQUEST FORM TO:
or return to
Chicago Heights Park District Recreational Center
1400 Chicago Road, Chicago Heights, IL 60411